The members of Saints Peter and Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church believe that:
- Every person is born sinful.
- There is no sin that God cannot forgive.
- No person can earn his or her way to salvation.
- Salvation is a gift freely available to every person through faith in Christ. Salvation is NOT reserved to the people of a particular religious denomination, nation, region, tribe, race, ethnicity, or sex.
- Anyone who rejects Christ as her or his Lord also rejects the salvation He offers.
- All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit and that God is therefore the true Author of every word of Scripture.
The members of Saints Peter and Paul Evangelical Lutheran agree with the Doctrinal, Confessional, and Scriptural positions of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (visit our Resources page for more information).
Saints Peter and Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church was established in 1917 as part of the Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (SELC). Like members of other SELC churches, most members of Saints Peter and Paul were of Slovakian heritage. A large portion of the congregation's current membership are direct descendents of the founding families, and some are still fluent in the Slovakian language.
The SELC became the SELC District when it joined the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) in 1971. The SELC District is one of two "non-geographical" LCMS districts whose member congregations share a common cultural heritage (the English District is the other). The Slovakian heritage of Saints Peter and Paul is evident in many different areas of the church.
Saints Peter and Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church hosts a Christian Preschool, an annual Easter egg hunt, and a community yard sale. We also operate a community food pantry and Vacation Bible School. Saints Peter and Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church support the following community groups through prayers and financial contributions: Alcoholics Anonymous, Backpack Ministry, Children’s Aid Society of Mercer County, Prince of Peace, Meals on Wheels, Pro-life of Mercer County, Children’s Center, Family Hospice, Center of Hope-Pregnancy Services, Joshua’s Haven, and All About Children’s Needs Inc.
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.